It’s been a tremendous season for the Mets. The first edition of celebrations comes this week when they clinch a playoff spot. At 93-55, the Mets should enjoy this first playoff clincher. Pop some bottles. The next will come when they potentially clinch the NL East, which may come down to the final few games of the regular season. After that, it’s the NLDS, potentially the NLCS and World Series.
So enjoy this first clincher, but be ready for more. Reinforcements continue to arrive. Today, it’s Max Scherzer and Tylor Megill. Tomorrow, it’s Drew Smith. Starling Marte will be the next key Met to return at some point. The roster is shaping and the team is gearing up for a long playoff run.
To talk about the potential clincher in Milwaukee, the four-game sweep of the Pirates, how a playoff rotation could shape up and answer voicemails from the fans, we bring you a new episode of the “Amazin’ But True” podcast with Nelson Figueroa and me.
Amazin’ But True’ Podcast with Jake Brown & Nelson Figueroa:
- HOW SWEEP IT IS: After the Cubs swept the Mets, they came right back to sweep the Pirates in four games. Daniel Vogelbach came alive against his former team with a big weekend. The pitching was strong and the bats came alive. Jacob deGrom was dominant outside of the home run. Will be interesting to see if he is stretched out more for the playoffs and if he will be able to dominant seven or eight innings in October.
- MORE GORE: Terrance Gore can be an important aspect of this team with his speed. He is almost an automatic stolen base any time he goes out there and pinch runs for someone. He can be valuable for the Mets come playoff time if he is on the roster.
- CLINCHING TIME: The Mets will clinch this week and the boys deserve to celebrate. It’s been a magical season, especially at Citi Field. The Mets won their 50th game at Citi Field Sunday, marking the most wins in a single season there. The fans have been coming out to support the team all season and should continue to show up the final five home games remaining.
- FAN VOICEMAILS: What will the playoff rotation look like? A few fans wonder who the 4th starter will be and how the rotation will shape out in the postseason. When do we think Starling Marte will come back? How pivotal has Buck Showalter been in this Mets season? Should we be concerned with Edwin Diaz’s lack of usage the past few weeks?
- FIGGIE PITCHES AGAIN: We end the show discussing Figgie pitching again on Sunday in the Staten Island Ferryhawks season finale. What happened after he gave up a home run? His line: one inning, two runs, one strikeout, 48 years old.
Catch up on all episodes of “Amazin’ But True,” a New York Mets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Jake Brown on Twitter and Instagram @JakeBrownRadio and Nelson Figueroa @FiggieNY. Follow the podcast on Twitter @AmazinButTrue.